Friday, September 21, 2012

Floyd "Money" Mayweather Jr. vs. Manny "Pac-Man" Pacquiao

"Now you're unemployed, all non-void, walking 'round like you're Pretty Boy Floyd" - Grandmaster Flash

I absolutely hate the drama surrounding Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao.

I try not to follow it too much, because every time I buy into it, I wind up with a broken heart. Time after time, some kind of road block pops up and prevents the mega-fight from happening.

- For the record, I think Floyd would run circles around Manny and give him a Boxing lesson far worse than Juan Manuel Marquez has.

One thing about being a Boxing fan, we have to resort to the world of YouTube and internet blogs to find out the latest happenings. ESPN's coverage is weak. I love First Take, Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless make my mornings. But one thing I can't stand is when they talk Mayweather/Pacquiao. Stephen A. seems like he would die trying to defend Floyd's honor, and Skip is just your prototypical Pac-tard.

But as I watched this morning, Stephen A. has a new found respect for Pacquiao. Pacquiao and Marquez were on the set of the show yesterday. Of course Pacquiao was bombarded with Floyd Mayweather Jr. questions. What Manny said on national television pretty much made Floyd look like a bitch.

Manny said he will take a 45-55 revenue split in Floyd's favor. He said he would agree to drug tests right before, and right after the fight. Manny hysterically laughed in Stephen A.'s face when he told Manny, he thinks Floyd can beat him. Manny brought up something Floyd said during a phone call (Floyd offered Manny 40 million dollars to agree to a fight, but Floyd get's 100 percent of the revenue the fight brings in), Floyd uttered the words, "what if I lose?"

Whoa! If I'm the best boxer in the world, the pound for pound king, if I'm Floyd Joy Mayweather, I would never mention the words, "what if I lose".

Does Floyd not believe in his ability? Is Floyd Mayweather Jr. really worried Manny Pacquiao could beat him? I just want to know - why hasn't Floyd Mayweather Jr. addressed this via twitter? Floyd has called out Pacquiao on twitter before. Why wouldn't he do it again after Pacquiao called him out on national television?

I want this fight to happen no more than the average Boxing fan, but if this fight never happened, I would be okay with that. There's far too much behind-the-scene politics that play a huge role in Boxing that has drove fans away from the sport. One of the biggest issues that hasn't helped this fight see the light of day is the rivalry between promotion companies, Top Rank and Golden Boy Promotions.

I could get into how the rival promotion companies are killing the sport of Boxing, but I will save that topic for another post in the future.

All I want to know is, what is Floyd Mayweather Jr. doing not addressing Manny Pacquiao? Will he stay quiet, and quietly show up ringside at the Pacquiao/Marquez IV fight in December? Will he go on  a twitter tirade again? What the heck is Money May going to do? Is Manny's recent visit to First Take the spark that will make this fight happen in 2013?

- Jose

No comments:

Post a Comment