Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Wait 'Til Next Year


I had to do it. I had to turn on my Xbox 360 and beat the Giants on MLB 2K.

I now sit here writing my thoughts away while listening to Randy Newman's "I Love L.A."

It was a great season for the Dodgers. If you take a look back before the season started, experts were predicting a third, even fourth place finish for the Dodgers. I remember watching some jackass on the MLB Network saying they would finish in fifth place.

The Dodgers season ended tonight after suffering a 4-3 loss to the Giants and the Dodgers have nobody to blame but themselves. It's easy to point out Matt Kemp coming up short in two key-moments of the game or Mark Ellis' blunder on the bases when he tried to extend a double to a triple.

I for one am not saying if it wasn't for Ellis, the game would have been tied and it would be a whole different ballgame.

If Ellis were to be on second, how do we know Guillermo Mota would still throw that same exact pitch to Shane Victorino? Maybe having Ellis on second would have rattled Mota and possibly he throws that first pitch in the dirt? Maybe he throws an off speed pitch?

My point is, Ellis can't be the scapegoat and the blame cannot be placed on him. The team as a whole is the reason their season is over.

You can't expect to come on strong in the final week of the season and look to be in the playoffs. This loss was devasting for me, I'm a 24 year old sports nut whose dream is to hear Vin Scully's voice in the Fall Classic. I just want my team to win a World Series. Is that so much to ask for?

Now is the time I realize the Cubs have been waiting for their team for over a century. The Dodgers are on the verge of being a quarter-century removed from their last championship and slowly but surely "Wait 'til next year" is becoming my motto.

it's pathetic that a 24 year old man's emotions are affected over the outcome of a simple game. That pathetic 24 year old man I was tonight.

As the pop fly off of Ellis' bat was finding it's way into Angel Pagan's mitt in center field, I was finding my way into the deep depths of my couch cushions. I really thought this Dodgers team had the potential to go on a run similar to the Rockies of 2007, the Cardinals (I have a new-found hatred for those mofos, btw) of 2011. I foolishly thought this was season the Dodgers would win the whole enchilada.

It didn't happen, and after beating the shit of the Giants on my video game, I feel better. I remembered, I can now root for the Atlanta Braves and Larry "Chipper" Jones.

I thought I had the energy or motivation to blog tonight, but I find myself only 500 words into this and wanting to wrap it up. I can still picture Sergio Romo's reaction as the Pagan was tracking the ball Ellis hit down. his stupid shaking of his finger is going to linger in my mind until next season. I fucking hate the Giants with a passion, I guess this is what it felt like being a Giants fan when Steve Finley hit that walk-off grand slam in 2004 to eliminate SF from playoff contention.

Karma is a b-word, I hate that b-word.

-- Jose

No comments:

Post a Comment